Prev: RE: FMA Skills [CLEAN STAMP] Next: RE: SFSFW- U.S.

RE: [OT sorta} SFC?

From: "Tim Jones" <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:04:57 +0100
Subject: RE: [OT sorta} SFC?

>Also, there's the 'market saturation' factor: between SFC, Homeworld,
>Freespace 2, Freelancer, Independence War Deluxe, and the other dozen
>or so starship/space combat games coming down the pipeline, even if a
>publisher could be found to mass market FT, it probably wouldn't get
>the shelf space.

Yes this is a major factor too, BC3K, Imperium Galactica II
(very cool cut scenes) and I hear David Braeburn (Mr Elite)
is doing a new revolutionary game, down the road from here
(Cambridge UK)

Also creating a real time strategy game from FT would sort
of lose the plot a bit. FT is an excellent turn based
miniatures game. Computer comsumers deem turn based
games as old fashioned. What you could port would be the
weapons and background but you would lose most of the
mechanics and abstractions it employs because on a
computer you can model things in much more detail.

>> Although its something I'd love to see, a 3dfx version of FT
>> is probably only ever going to be a dream.
>
>I'd be satisfied with just plain FTMap graphics.

I think we could probably manage an SSI style wargame, aimed at
wargamers not eye candy junkies.

>This talk about stuff wants me to brush off my PBeM code and develop
>it once again to what I always wanted; a fully automatic game playing
>engine.  Yeah, I've got the free time for that.  Really.  (8-/

Yep, join the 'ambition <> time' club,	The ftmap PBEM system is
bubbling but its never going to be a 'commercial' product.

-= tim jones =-

Prev: RE: FMA Skills [CLEAN STAMP] Next: RE: SFSFW- U.S.