Prev: Re: SFSFW- U.S. Next: [OT sorta} SFC?

Re: Vector Movement and SML's

From: "Partly cloudy today, partly sunny tomorrow - what is the difference??" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 13:37:04 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Vector Movement and SML's

Leaping headlong into the middle of this discussion...

>>intend to, but for every ship I've even seen vaporised by a
coordinated SM
>>attack, I've seens one which stood there and laughed
>
>Only if you get missed do you laugh..unless your esteemed opponent has
>Kochte Missiles--I understand a fleet with those has been stationed in
your
>area?	: )

HEY! Now I *know* you weren't at the little demo I did last year at
Origins;
how do you know about my bloody missiles?!?

(for those of you who didn't see, don't already know, or missed the
write-up
I did, I ran a little NSL/FSE game. Since so few people were available
play, I played the FSE (note: I am and will be the first to admit I am
not
an SM* wizard; I'm partial to beams and my fave weapon, p-torps :). My
opponent had never played NSL before (in fact really hadn't played much
of
the FB ships except NAC-types and ESU-types). I ran the following
scenario:

  http://scivax.stsci.edu/~kochte/s3.html

Now, I think that's a more than reasonable amount of SMs I should have
put
out/spread around on the NSL ships. My opponent (remember his experience
with
NSL, and by extension, FSE) decided to barrel onto the field at speed 4
(we
were playing Cinematic for you Vector fiends :). I ramped up to a higher
speed
(I don't remember exactly), but left my CVA in the rear for protection.
At his
rather high velocity, I was able to put my fighters and SMs pretty much
right
'on target' almost every time (once a medium-sized ship got 'in the way'
and
ate a lot, but overall his cap ships were hit with SMs). His rather
meager
escort ships (2 CLs) were sufficient to whittle down my SMs noticeably,
and
then the number that hit after that were...few. Damage points after that
were...few. In the end all I had left was my CVA and a few fighters,
whereas he
had only lost a few ships (don't remember exactly what, but I think it
was a
couple of DD/FFs, a medium ship) and had a severaly mauled BDN (from
accumulated SM *and* fighter fire). All other NSL ships were either
pristine or
lightly damaged.

Ah well. Just a data point for the discussion.

Mk
-
Dr T: "I'm speechless"

Indy: "No you're not; you're still talking"

Prev: Re: SFSFW- U.S. Next: [OT sorta} SFC?