Prev: Lunch game Next: RE: SFSFW- U.S.

Missile/Fighter Defense systems.

From: "Phillip Pournelle" <emisle@e...>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:11:06 -0700
Subject: Missile/Fighter Defense systems.

Brian Bell wrote:

>Currently, in the Fleet Book, you can't do this with ADFC's either. All
>ADFC's do is allow you to fire PDS at fighters/missiles that are
attacking
>one other friendly ship that is within 6" of your ADFC equipped ship.
This
>is a change from the 2nd edition ADAF. It does NOT allow you to attack
any
>fighter/missiles within range.
>
>This extended one of my gripes from the 2nd edition rules (and made it
>worse). That is a player can place a huge number of fighters within
spitting
>distance from an enemy ship, and unless he targets the ship the enemy
ship
>can do NOTHING about it!
>
>PDS should be able to attack any fighter/missile within its range. ADFC
>should allow PDS' from all ships within 6" of each other to combine and
>coordinate fire with a maximum range of 6" from the ship closest to the
>fighters/missiles (maximum range of 12" from any ship in the ADFC
network).

    Having worked on Air Defense Systems I don't like the ADFC rule.  I
basically reverted to the original rules a Points Defense System (PDS)
can
attack any fighter or missile within 3 MUs or attacking the ship while
an
Area Defense System (ADS) allows you to attack any fighter or missile
whithin 6 MUs or attacking the ship.  I suppose you could build a Fleet
Defense System (FDS) for Mass 3 and 9 points to attack any fighter or
missile within 9 MUs or attacking the ship.

Prev: Lunch game Next: RE: SFSFW- U.S.