Prev: no, over *there* was Re: Over There! Next: Re: Over There!

Re: [OT] The Ythri

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 20:51:49 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: [OT] The Ythri

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Nyrath the nearly wise wrote:

> John C wrote:
>
> > And of course, if you REALLY want an epic scope, find yourself a
copy of
> > Olaf Stapledon's _Last and First Men_.
>
>	I'll second that.  Though technically his "StarMaker"
>	is even *more* epic in scope. (the entire story of
>	Last and First Men occurs in a couple of sentences
>	of StarMaker).

finally, a book i *have* read! 'Last and First Men' is on the to-read
list
too, though.

and if you want scope, i would suggest Rudy Rucker's 'White Light'. the
domain is mathematics, which i would say is larger than any physical
object.

>	The time scale are thought provoking by themselves.

Stephen Baxter's 'The Time Ships' has a rather good extrapolation - many
of Stevie-boy's books follow things through to the end of one universe
or
another, but this one, i feel, does it best.

so, Poul Anderson and Mike Resnick to be read ASAP. after Brian Aldiss,
Ken McLeod, Alfred Bester, Philip K Dick and half a dozen other
crucially
important writers. sigh. sometimes i wish i'd got into 18th-century
Icelandic literature instead ...

tom

Prev: no, over *there* was Re: Over There! Next: Re: Over There!