Prev: RE: [FT] PDS as direct fire weapons Next: RE: cloaking rules

FT: cloaking rules

From: Glen Bailey <Glen.Bailey@s...>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:10:25 -0400
Subject: FT: cloaking rules

I liked the cloaking rules that someone suggested which I found at a
website which I cannot find anymore, and I don't recall who deserves
the credit for them.  But I felt they didn't far enough and so I
modified them, especially in detecting cloaked ships.  One problem
I have is how to mark a ship that just cloaked after not being
cloaked, especially to standard mode.  Maybe the cloaked ship has
to use the marker where it is and everyone knows where the ship is
as it moves, the only way for the cloaked ship to move off of
the marker is go to blind mode (in which case the marker does not
move as long as the ship remains in blind mode).

The Advanced Cloaking System I added on a whim because of a
particular movie.  I don't know if the cost I assigned is fair
and maybe the detection bonus could be +2 for one weapon fired
and +3 for 2 or more weapons fired (or +n, n being the number
of weapons fired?).

Glen

		       Cloaking Rules

    A vessel capable of cloaking will have 3 modes of
cloaking:  Off, Standard, and Blind.  Changing cloaking mode
is done before the plotting step and told to all players.

Off mode
    The ship is not cloaked.

Standard mode
    Place a bogey marker on the board within 12" of the
cloaked ship's actual position.  The player must make a note
of how far and what clock direction the actual ship is from
the bogey marker.  In this mode the cloaked player would
know the position of the other ships, but not to the degree
that he could fire most weapons at them.  MT Missiles &
Salvo missiles would be able to be fired since they have
their own guidance.  However, doing so could give away the
position of the cloaked ship.

Blind mode
    The player leaves a marker where the ship cloaked or
entered the board cloaked.  The player must must write
orders for all turns that the ship will remain in Blind
mode.  The maximum thrust that can be used in Blind mode is
1, this can be used for turning or velocity changes.  While
in Blind mode the ship cannot attack or be attacked except
by area effect weapons such as the Wave Gun and Nova Cannon.

Detecting standard mode cloaked ships
    Ships are able to search for standard mode cloaked ships
using their sensors during their fire phase.  The base range
is 12" and only one arc can be searched.  Each Fire Control
System dedicated to searching extends the search range by
24" or increases the arc by 1. Enhanced or superior sensors
may act as a Fire Control System for searching for cloaked
ships, this is in addition to their search roll bonuses.
The searching player rolls one die and if the roll is 6+
then the cloaked ship is detected by the searching ship for
this turn only if it is within range and in the arcs
searched.  The player of the cloaked ship must state to all
players the arc and the range from the searching ship so
that it may fire upon the cloaked ship.
    Bonuses to the search roll are:
    +1 if the cloaked ship altered course or velocity this
       turn,
    +1 if the searching ship has enhanced sensors or
    +2 if it has superior sensors,
    +1 if the cloaked ship launched any missiles or fighters
       this turn or
    +2 if it fired any other weapon this turn
       (advanced cloaking system),
    +1 if the cloaked ship received damage in the previous
       turn or
    +2 if it receives damage in the current turn.

Advanced cloaking system
    The advanced cloaking system allows a ship in standard
cloaked mode to fire any weapon.  The mass is the same as
the normal cloaking system but the points is doubled in cost
(mass x 20).

Prev: RE: [FT] PDS as direct fire weapons Next: RE: cloaking rules