Prev: Re: [FT] Ship morale Next: Re: Goofy German Death Jeep

Re: [OFFICIAL] FMA range thoughts.... [CLEAN STAMP]

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 20:53:02 -0400
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] FMA range thoughts.... [CLEAN STAMP]

>On 7/18/99 11:42 PM, Laserlight wrote:
>>
>> I'd have to say that the range of the weapon is not dependent on the
>> skill of the user.  If one of our shooters pulls the trigger or I do,
the
>> bullet (or plasma) is going to go just as far.  Now, I may not be
able to
>> HIT anything, but that's a function of skill rather than the weapon
>> itself.

Rick Rutherford missed my point:
>...right, but you're rolling the dice to see if you hit a moving
target,
>not to see how far you made the bullet go. :) Since the range bands
>describe how easy/hard it is to hit a target at different ranges, they
>should be a function of the shooter's skill, modified by the inherent
>usability of the weapon (i.e. shorter for pistols, longer for rifles).

If I understand correctly, there are two choices:
a) fixed weapon ranges with variable skill modifier
b) fixed skill ranges with variable weapon modifier

I feel that A is a better description and is more intuitive.  It also
provides more potential flavor for weapons without having finicky
fractional
multipliers.  For example, if the Plasma Gun has "Close" range of a
little
more than a Needler--but not twice the range--then you can simulate this
with A but not with B.	Or you could multiply by, say, 1.375, which I'm
sure
would be delightful and contribute greatly to the flavor of the game....
: )

Prev: Re: [FT] Ship morale Next: Re: Goofy German Death Jeep