Prev: Re: [GZG-L] Request for comments and information Next: Re: [GZG-L] Request for comments and information

Re: [GZG-L] Request for comments and information

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@p...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:53:51 -0700
Subject: Re: [GZG-L] Request for comments and information

ScottSaylo@aol.com wrote:

> 2-3 minutes for a long gun depending on how good the crew is. 1/2 to
2/3 of
> that for a columbiad or carronade. Guns with lighter shot marginally
quicker,
> large shot marginally slower.

     While generally I agree with the comments Scott made, most of the
time
quoted would have been spent by the powder monkey going down to the
magazine
to got the powder and shot. (magazines were below the waterline)   The
guns
on the upper decks were smaller but the ammo was further away and
required
more time to acquire.
     Also consider the ship fired broadsides and the rate of fire was
really
determined by the slowest gun crew on that gun deck.

     As the former training officer for the 3rd U.S. artillery, battery
L+M
the crews were trained to make 3 rounds per minute (quite easily, for a
6
gun battery).	This was accomplished using the complete drill and
(in actual combat) this could be increased by dropping the non-important
part of the drill. (Swabbing and draining the barrel).	 Our powder
monkey
had only 10 yards to go for powder and had one round staged in his ammo
bag.
(10 Lb ordinance rifle)

Bye for now,
John L.
Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: [GZG-L] Request for comments and information Next: Re: [GZG-L] Request for comments and information