Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] FMA TEST MATERIAL - PART 1 (rules) Next: Re: What does FMA stand for?

Goofy German Death Jeeps

From: "Thomas Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 12:21:10 -0400
Subject: Goofy German Death Jeeps

Adrian Wrote:

They tip over easily, they are a unibody design so when they suffer
structural damage of any kind they're almost impossible to repair
(certainly so in the field), they were supposed to be amphibious, but
we
didn't buy that option, they offer minimal protection to the crew from
either roll over or incoming fire/arty fragments/etc., their tires are
tall
but thin, so they sink into soft terrain, they don't work all that
well, I
think there were problems with the electrical system, and they are
just
overall pretty feeble.	The Germans don't like theirs, and we don't
like
ours.  One of my friends tipped his over twice, doing combat driving
training, and that was quite common on his course - for an "armoured"
recce
regiment...

**
OTOH, I had friends in armoured recce that loved them. They treated
them as a glorified sport utility. Their motto was never walk if it
was more than 10 feet...

They are typically Canadian - cheaper than the cadillac of vehicles
(the Hummer), less capable, and arguably sufficient for what we do
with them (though I'd rather be in a HMMWV if I hit a mine or get shot
at).

Mind you, I know a guy in the infantry unit who was busted something
fierce for rolling one on dry pavement on a clear dry day....
something about S curves (and that tippy thing). We always maintained
he was trying to be the first driver to qualify for Jump Wings *with*
his vehicle.

Speaking of jeeps, the GZG hover jeep kind of reminds me of an AC
version of this jeep. It just doesn't have the serious face that a
Hummer does... :)

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] FMA TEST MATERIAL - PART 1 (rules) Next: Re: What does FMA stand for?