Prev: Overwatch/Reaction Fire & Suppression - FMA Next: Re: [OT] Crimson Skies [CLEAN STAMP]

Groppos and Combat Moves - FMAish

From: "Thomas Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 13:59:44 -0400
Subject: Groppos and Combat Moves - FMAish

The Beast spake thus:

Anyway, we all know that the space services are staffed with far more
noble and brave fellows than the rabble that are found amongst the
groppo's. ;->=

** Doug, next time you vaccuum-jockeys are looking for a place to
refuel and rearm, or for that matter recruit, remember that it's we
rabble that fought, bled (whatever lead bleeds...), and died (often
from bad die rolling) over that piece of real estate you space-cadets
orbit.... the infantry has been around since the dawn of warfare and
will be around long after we no longer need starcraft anymore... :)

<not that my sympathies are showing....> <grin>

On the matter of combat moves:
In SG2, 2 dice makes some sense - you can't coordinate a squad as well
as you would like. But, OTOH, anyone who has tried to run through the
bush in paintball will tell you how far you go through unknown bush is
sort of a random quantity because the footing, rocks, etc. all tend to
have random effects, and you can hurt yourself if you are too stupid.
The same is true in urban settings with lots of rubble.

How about this: A combat move in the open or in something like a
featureless corridor (flat ground, no possible impedance) is 2x normal
move. A combat move in any sort of close terrain (urban with rubble,
bush, desert sand dunes, etc) is a 2dice (or 1 dice times 2 if you
like risk) roll. It's not that you don't know where you want to go, as
I've found out many times in paintball, it's that you don't get there
as quick as you thought/wanted/needed. :)

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: Overwatch/Reaction Fire & Suppression - FMA Next: Re: [OT] Crimson Skies [CLEAN STAMP]