Prev: Re: Marksmanship Next: Re: Marksmanship

Re: Marksmanship

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:10:01 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Marksmanship

On 14-Jul-99 at 11:05, ScottSaylo@aol.com (ScottSaylo@aol.com) wrote:
> In a message dated 7/13/99 10:30:49 PM EST, Thomas.Barclay@sofkin.ca
> writes:
>
> << Point being I didn't make up the effective ranges that
>  the Pentagon invented and Colt and other combat rifle designers these
>  days sort of spec to. 400-500m is sort of the limit expected for
>  modern small arms combat (with rifles anyhow, although greater ranges
>  are possible). It'll be less than this in areas where visibility is
>  limited. But even so, having a rifle with a max unaimed (by that I
>  mean snap shots) range of 72m does seem a little bizarre to me... >>
>
> People hit with rounds out past 100 meters or so are usually hit by bi
or
> tri  pod weapons if it was aimed at them, or a sniper round, or a
round
> that was  fl0oating by aimed (or unaimed) elsewhere and just really
really
> wanted a  home. aimed fire ranges and maximum effective ranges are far
> different under  fire than they are on the testing range.

I believe (back to those old NRA mags) that an M16 was basicly unusable
for hunting at ranges beyond 100 meters.  Seems the bullet tumbles after
about 100 meters so hitting anything beyond that range is sheer
luck.  (Well, they were testing a non-auto version of the M16, AR15?).
I wonder what the Pentagon claims for ranges on an M16.

Roger

Prev: Re: Marksmanship Next: Re: Marksmanship