Prev: RE: Out of Ammo and Shotguns Next: Re: Out of Ammo and Shotguns

[FMA] Comments and initial impressions

From: Andy Cowell <andy@c...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 00:25:44 -0400
Subject: [FMA] Comments and initial impressions

My comments from dabbling with the system tonight; overall impression:
two thumbs way, way up!

- Leave the weapons point calculation system as _VERY_ optional.  I
like having it, but it's a pain it the butt as it stands right now.
Just give us a list of all the various weapons you'd expect-- which
you pretty much have already.  If you want something different; THEN
you can learn to use the system.

Also, note that as it currently stands, it's pretty easy to break with
funky range bands.  I could create the Munchkinizer, with range bands
of 2"(d4)/12"(d8)/48(d12)" or something.  Who knows, this might even
be a legitimate weapon, something that accelerates and is designed to
attack at range.

- The Confidence system is conspicuously absent, but that's been
mentioned.  I assume there will be the usual Confidence vs. Reaction
mechanism?  Will motivation be used as morale?	I could see either way
on that.  If not, maybe a simple Shaken/Broken mechanism.  I'd love to
have more official guidance into how this area will work.

- Reaction and Overwatch fire both seem to only let you fire at a
target between their two actions.  I would leave Reaction fire as is,
and allow Overwatch to fire at any point during movement (so you can
be sure to catch them in the open, whereas a target could hop between
cover and avoid being shot at in the open from Reaction fire).

- Assistant Leader?  What's this do?  I tend to think Leader = Lt,
Asst. Leader = Sgt.  I assume there will be some Confidence mechanism
when the Leader is taken out, and the AL's presence will alleviate
that somewhat.	Is the AL able to transfer activation?	Maybe only
when in Leader's command radius, or only when activated by the Leader?
Could he rally troops (and will there be a mechanism to rally?)

- I think continuous fire weapons (like belt-fed machine guns) should
have the ability to suppress an area.  Maybe designate a line 1/3 as
long as the range band within that range band (say, 3" in short 12"
range band; I'm just throwing out ideas), and that's where the MG is
shooting.  Any troop wishing to cross that area must make a reaction
test (with a neg mod) and may get shot; chance of getting shot
increases a lot if you actually end an action in that zone.

I may be totally off, though.  Let me know what you think.

- If a model is suppressed, all other models within 1-2" should take a
reaction test or become suppressed as well, IMO.  If you see your
buddy next to you duck because he thinks he's about to get shot,
you're likely to do so as well, I would think.	There should probably
also be Confidence tests (assuming we're using that mechanism) for
wounds and kills in a model's LOS.  Reaction/Confidence tests should
receive a neg. mod if any casulties are in LOS, and a further neg. mod
if any casulties are within 3" and in LOS.

- It seems wierd to me that cover is used in the impact/armor roll,
rather than the to hit roll.  I can see either way, though.

- I do like the current mechanism for suppression in the open.

Prev: RE: Out of Ammo and Shotguns Next: Re: Out of Ammo and Shotguns