Prev: Re: Marksmanship Next: Re: A use for nudie minis [Was FMA Skirmish MOS (rules ideas)]

Marksmanship

From: "Thomas Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:28:01 -0400
Subject: Marksmanship

From: edens@mindspring.com (Matt Edens)

"I know several guys who can shoot tacks
off of targets at 50m. Hitting a man sized target out to 400m isn't
that hard"

Yes, but the tacks rarely, if ever, shoot back -- which makes all the
difference in the world.

** True. That is why we have suppresion counters, potentially morale
checks, etc. Point being I didn't make up the effective ranges that
the Pentagon invented and Colt and other combat rifle designers these
days sort of spec to. 400-500m is sort of the limit expected for
modern small arms combat (with rifles anyhow, although greater ranges
are possible). It'll be less than this in areas where visibility is
limited. But even so, having a rifle with a max unaimed (by that I
mean snap shots) range of 72m does seem a little bizarre to me...

** I seem to recall CF range days where you'd execute snaps at 50,
100, or even 200m+. Having a max range of 72m just strikes me as a
little off. Tacks don't shoot back, but if I can only hit out to 72m,
maybe I'd be better of firing tacks... <g>

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: Re: Marksmanship Next: Re: A use for nudie minis [Was FMA Skirmish MOS (rules ideas)]