Prev: Re: Marksmanship Next: Re: FMA Skirmish in Archives (was Re: New to the list, FMA Skirmish)

Re: Out of Ammo, broken weapons in FMA

From: Jon Davis <davis@a...>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:58:33 -0400
Subject: Re: Out of Ammo, broken weapons in FMA

Adrian Johnson wrote:

> So - we're up to double one's on the shooting rolls produces a
stoppage of
> some kind.  It could be unintentional out of ammo, it could be a jam,
it
> could be another kind of malfunction.  To resolve this, the character
must
> take a task check as per normal, and requires one action.
>
> No one is immune to these effects, but better troops are a) less
likely to
> suffer from it in the first place, and b) more likely to resolve the
> situation immediately if it does occur - and these differences are
> inherently built into the system.  No extra mechanic required.
>
> This keeps things simple, requires no extra record keeping.  Maybe a
"jam"
> chit or equiv. placed by the figure until it is cleared.  And adds the
> potential for the "unknown" or "surprise".
>
> I know Tom doesn't like the idea of the randomness involved in running
out
> of ammo by mistake, but if we say that this mechanism doesn't just
involve
> running out of ammo in the current magazine, but also potential jams
and
> other malfunctions (which are indeed more surprising, if not random
events)
> - maybe this will be less disturbing.
>
> Thoughts, anyone?

Even the best run into ammo or weapons difficulties.

In Aliens, Drake drops the Smartgun either due to running out of ammo or
weapons malfunction and uses his secondary weapon.

In Predator, Mac burns all the mini-gun ammo hosing the jungle down.  It
would
have been very useful later in the movie, but I wouldn't want to be the
guy
carrying the thing.  Can you say Predator bait?

My thoughts:  A double '1' earns a 'Weapon down' chit or something like
it.
A task check is made to repair or reload the weapon.  A '1' on the task
check breaks the weapon for the duration of the game.  A failed attempt
keeps
the chit on the board and a success removes the chit.  This simulates
either
a broken weapon, out of ammo, or a fumbled reload, in one simple
mechanic.

Jon

Prev: Re: Marksmanship Next: Re: FMA Skirmish in Archives (was Re: New to the list, FMA Skirmish)