Prev: Re: Updated Electronic Warfare Rules Next: Re: Affectiveness of FSE BDN?

Re: More Fighter questions

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@p...>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 21:25:46 -0700
Subject: Re: More Fighter questions

ScottSaylo@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/10/99 12:22:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
> john_t_leary@pronetusa.net writes:
>
> <<
>  It was OK, 'til you got to the damage control roll per fighter.
>  We are talking about starting with fully functional fighters,
>  not damaged goods.	Do you plan to apply this to fighters that
>  have been recoved from a combat mission as well?   It actually
>  makes a more reasonable scenario for recovered fighters than
>  for fresh from storage fighters.
>   >>
XXX
     For a brief moment let us define the terms that will be used:
FTFB	       Wet Navy 	    My term
Hanger Bay     Flight Deck	    Hanger Bay
N/A	       Hanger Deck	    Storage
Note: in the FTFB the arming/fueling of fighters is conducted
on the (wet Navy) flight deck only.	 JTL
XXX

> You're still avoiding the fact that carriers (for real carriers, that
is)
> today do not carry spare aircraft because they are not worth carrying.
It
> takes up hangar and ordnance storage space that coule be better
utilized
> soring ordnance and fighters ready for ops.
XXX
     I have repeatedly stated that the 'stored' fighters are fully
operational, just because the pilots are at a briefing during the
initial fighter launch does not mean that they are not on the ship. JTL
XXX
Large space fleet carriers will
> operate under the same constraints [at least I can see no reasonable
argument
> that they would not]. The replacement aircraft are flown in  to the
carrier
> from land bases or from other carriers. Aircraft in crates are NOT
loaded on
> to carriers with cranes. Today a carrier sets sail from port with
nothing
> moire than a COD  aircraft and the anti supbmarine carriers aboard.
The air
> group flies out to meet the carrier and lands aboard for stowage on
the
> hangar deck or the ready launch areas. Why would deep space carriers
function
> differently? A fighter not ready to be spotted and flown isn't worth
having
> aboard, and if you have it aboard then by God fly it! [thus making it
> non-cargo and operational, right?0
XXX
      All fighters in the FTFB are spotted for launch.	 You can correct
me if I am wrong, but if all aircraft on a modern carrier are on the
flight deck at the same time, fight operations cannot occure because
of insufficient space.	True?	This means that some large portion of
the compliment is below deck in the hanger, during the initial launch
of the fighters (one could say that these are 'stored' until ready for
launch.)   JTL
XXX
> Carriers lose aircraft in operations, aircraft from other damaged bird
farms
> will find their way aboard and replacements will be flown out. The
fleet
> train will replenish POL, fuel spare parts and ordnance. In space a
fighter
> could be assembled on a minimal hangar bay on the replenishment ship
and
> floated free with a pilot provided by the carrier if spares have to be
> brought on line.  There's no way to justify dead weight replacement
strike
> craft sitting in cargo bays on the carrier, unless that means they
cannot be
> brough on line until assembled, tuned, adjusted, checked out and test
flown.
> If that is the case then they are not available other than on a
campaign
> basis during rest and refit periods.
XXX
     Lets look at it this way, you an I bring fleet carriers on the
board,
yours has six squadrons already launched, mine has four, the number of
hanger bays on each of our ships.   Your compliment is six and mine is 7
squadrons of fighters.	 Your ship has 6 hanger bays, mine has 4 and
three
storage areas, other than that the ships are the same.
On turn one, two of the three 'stored' squadrons on my ship are
	     moved into hanger bays.
On turn two, the two are armed/fueled and the third is brought
	     to the hanger bay.
On turn three, the two are launched and the third is fueled/armed.
On turn four, the third is launched.

     This is the way I would run such a ship, others may have different
ideas.	 I hope that this has made things a little bit more clear as
to the intent.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: Updated Electronic Warfare Rules Next: Re: Affectiveness of FSE BDN?