Prev: URL Change Next: [SG] Alternate Detachments

Fighters

From: CGS <michael@c...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 09:29:54 +0100
Subject: Fighters

Interesting discussion about fighters. It always seems an issue that
gets people excited, whether they are pro or anti.
For what it is worth I hate the things, and ususally put 6 PDAFs on a
FT2 BB (mass 60) and had ADAF escorts...

I do like the idea of seperating the hangers from the lauch bays (we
could use the SML mechanics, with launchers linked to magazines "how
long until you get the lift unjammed?").
I know someone did this quite nicely (I am sure I have it clipped, if
not back to the digests).
I would love to ee this in FT3.
Perhaps for greater cost and mass per fighter you could have the
traditional bay, the advantage being that all the bays could launch at
once. (so we don't replace the system and invalidate existing designs,
we add a new one).

Hangers and 'catapults' would be perfect for classic thin skinned wet-
navy style carriers to maxaimise numbers while a DN with one group would
find a normal bay more cost and mass effective.

I think we need to differentiate clearly between fighters stored in a
ready to go state and those boxed. The latter are available but must be
in bays or hangers while boxed fighters are not available but occupy
less space and can be carried in any available cargo space.

I am for anything that makes a fleet train important.
Michael

Prev: URL Change Next: [SG] Alternate Detachments