Prev: unsubcribe Next: Re: More Fighter questions

Re: FMA Skirmish question

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 22:39:56 +0100
Subject: Re: FMA Skirmish question

>Andy Cowell wrote:
>>
>> I mentioned earlier that I was dabbling with some FMA skirmish rules.
>> I had a question about what people think about suppression in a 1:1
>> figure:groundscale game:
>>
>> If an average human figure has no cover, and is suppressed, what
>> happens?
>>
>> Does the figure freeze up?
>> Does the figure drop to the ground?
>> Does the figure head toward cover?
>>
>In my skirmish game, each individual got two actions per turn (sound
>familiar?). A suppression result would remove one of the actions. The
>choice is then left to the player -- head for cover/drop _or_ return
>fire.
>
>Multiple suppressions, of course, leave the figure a sitting duck.
>
>It seemed to work fairly well. . .
>
>Paul

This is one of the major things that has come up in recent in-house
tests
of the "OFFICIAL" FMA skirmish rules (yes, they DO exist, in a kind of
Beta
test version at the moment); it didn't seem right to have a fiigure
-even
if multiple-suppressed - just "freezing" in the open, especially in the
middle of a city street (we've been testing thisi in an urban setting).
At
present, this is the (UNTESTED) possible solution:

SUPPRESSED FIGURES IN THE OPEN:
If a figure becomes suppressed while it is in the open, he is very
unlikely
to simply "freeze" on the spot, exposed to further fire. When the figure
is
next activated and tests for removal of the suppression, if the roll
FAILS
then the figure must immediately roll a COMBAT MOVE die. If there is any
cover of any sort (hard or soft) within the rolled move distance of the
figure, even if it is towards an enemy figure, then the suppressed
figure
immediately sprints to the cover, taking with him any suppression
marker(s), which remain in force until successfully removed. If the
combat
move roll is too short to reach any available cover, then the figure
must
instead RETREAT directly away from the nearest visible enemy, by the
distance rolled. If the roll is sufficient to reach more than one area
of
cover, the figure will move to whichever cover is nearest. Once the
figure
is in cover, he may use his second action to re-attempt removal of the
suppression as normal.

As I say, we haven't tried this out yet; opinions are welcome!

Jon (GZG)

Prev: unsubcribe Next: Re: More Fighter questions