Prev: Re: Re: Fw: Carriers and other updates Next: Re: A New Anglian Confederation Interstellar News Network Report

Re: FT: space (ST designing), my fuel rules?

From: "Summiting is optional; descent is mandatory. (E Viesturs)" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 16:16:19 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: FT: space (ST designing), my fuel rules?

>It is amazing how much cargo holds, science labs, passenger space,
>and other "no cost" extra space really cost.  I redesigned my FED CA
>to have 2 hangar bays (2 mass 1 shuttles), 1 mass devoted to cargo
>space (gotta carry that whatchamacallit wheat), and 2 mass devoted
>to science labs.  It came out to 84 mass, 272 points, with 2 pulse
>torpedo tubes (photons), and 3 class-2 beams as its main weaponry.
>Then I made it without those extraneous spaces and the mass came
>down to 68 mass, 226 points.  So for 46 points I can have some
>"free" space (the hangar bays do cost points, but why as much as
>fighter bays?).  So much for "free" space.

One suggestion for you to consider. FT cannot do exact
weapon-for-weapon,
system-for-system conversions. Ofttimes, as a number here have found,
you
need to abstract things out. Thus you might consider having only a
single
hangar bay for the shuttle(s), and perhaps just 1-2 mass total devoted
labs, cargo, whatnot. Also you might abstract a little more here and
drop
one Class-2 batt, and use just two Class-2 batts in an offset pattern
(one
covers arcs F/FP/AP, the other arcs F/FS/AS). This will save you a
little
mass.

>I sent a copy of my campaign fuel rules based on Traveller.  But
>I haven't seen it show up on the list nor any comments from anyone.
>Was it not received or did I miss those messages?

I'm not familiar enough with Traveller to make comment.  :)

Mk
-
Daune: "How can you be asleep and getting ready at the same time?"

Indy: "I'm multi-tasking..."

Prev: Re: Re: Fw: Carriers and other updates Next: Re: A New Anglian Confederation Interstellar News Network Report