Prev: RE: RE: RE: ST designing, railgun Next: Re: [OT] Pages on Geocities

Re: Using FTFB interceptors

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 18:35:27 +0100
Subject: Re: Using FTFB interceptors

>From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@aimnet.com>
>

>>A dogfight keeps going till one side decides to leave
>>and take the "parting shot" is how I read it.
>>
>>They can start the turn in dogfight status (if that's how they ended
last
>>turn) but then they adhere to the Fighter-toFighter Combat rules (FT
p.17).

>>"...he may move his Group away provided it has not already moved that
turn;
>>if he does this, however, the attacking Group gets a free round of
attack
>>rolls before contact is broken."
>

>Which brings me back to the point of contention.  Can the attacking
Group
>follow (assuming it hasn't moved yet this turn) ?  Can it initiate
another
>dogfight ?  With the same group ?

I see no reason why not. Provided the pursuers can catch the fleeing
group
(ie: assuming they are not a slower type of fighter), then I would think
they can attack again. Looked at in "real" terms, what happens is that
one
group disengages, giving their opponents a clear ("free") shot at their
turned tails, then the other group decides to pursue and finish them off
-
for the sake of game mechanics, assume they catch up to them wherever
the
first group finish their move, and another brief furball ensues. Maybe
if
you want to give the fleeing group a chance to get away altogether, you
might choose to allow THEM to burn a CEF for an additional move if they
want, while denying the pursuers the chance to do this (perhaps on the
PSB
that they've had to spend a little time re-organising themselves after
the
first dogfight, and are thus a little way behind the escaping group) -
but
that's just an idea......

Jon (GZG)

Prev: RE: RE: RE: ST designing, railgun Next: Re: [OT] Pages on Geocities