Prev: Re: FT: ST designing Next: Re: FT: Star Trek designing

RE: FT: ST designing

From: "Tim Jones" <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 13:59:33 +0100
Subject: RE: FT: ST designing

>You cannot use point defense against pulse torpedoes, and you
>can against missiles.	Yes, I know, change the rules so PDS
>do not exist (blech).	I like pulse torpedoes as photons.
>Generally, if you limit phasers to class-2 beams then pulse
>torpedoes are longer ranged.  "Class-3" phasers could exist
>on larger ships (BB+) and bases.

This is an OK compromise similar to A. Brain's TOS rules.

>Yes, some ST shows and movies show a photon torpedo package,
>but pulse torpedoes can be done similarly.

Known as a spread. You can abstract it out in the PT sure but the
SLM gives a better mechanic and feel.

>> Railgun
>>

>They're not in the FB.  Also, my impression is that they are not
>balanced.

I wouldn't constrain myself with the FB, more do an EFSB for ST
and derive a set of appropriate weapons. The Railgun works well as
a powerful heavy weapon, just like the Disruptor and it has different
mechanics to give an alien flavour. They have a few design constraints
that could be exploited, but we are delivering up canned ST designs so
this isn't a problem.

>There's only a 2 point difference in thrust, anyway.

Big difference, if anything the later TNNG shows fed ships on a par with
klingon. The actual klingon vs E encounters are the Enterprise Incident
and
Elan of Troyous, so sign of superior K thrust in those shows really.

BTW the 'ambassador incident' was an Orion pirate ship with over-loaded
engines

>> PDS don't fit the background IMO.
>> 2 FC's (main bridge and aux control)
>>

>I changed the PDS to class-1s, which can work as point defense
>in the normal rules (I recall one episode where the E easily took
>out some planetary based missiles with phasers).

Patterns of force, Nazi nukes.

>Cheaper sfx (IMHO).  I suppose all beam weapons on a K ship could
>be considering disruptors of varying size.

Thats certainly true for the romulans, the K's later add photons but
we never see phasers on K ships in the shows IIRC.

>> >Klingon Bird of Prey, 48 mass, 157 points.	Thrust-6, average
>> >strength hull, level-1 screens, 4 armor, 2 FC, 1 class-3
>(60 degrees),
>> >2 class-1s.
>>
>> Missing photon
>
>Sfx again (IMHO).  I considered it (a pulse torpedo is the same
>mass as a class-3 beam) but wanted to keep a definite K flavor.

Didnt you see ST III, VI and Generations? The BOP without a torpedo
isn't a BOP IMO. ST VI gave the best photon vs shields battle to date
the way the photons leaked through the shields and then penetrated is
what we are looking for.

>It could be a variant (or mine is the variant).
>I also didn't include a cloaking device, one can be added

>Btw, I think the FT's cloaking device is too large IF based
>on ST.  Kirk carried it aboard the E when he stole it.
>Make it mass 1, points 50 (yes, I know, change it in my game).

I think you will have to roll your own cloak and costs as you suggest.

>Has anyone noticed if any Romulan ships ever fired a shot in TNG
>or later series?  Maybe in a DS9 big battle scene but with all
>that's going on it was hard to notice any such details.

OTTOMH:

Tin Man
The Pegasus
Timescape
The Enemy
Unification?

The later Roms are disruptor only dudes (I still think you should try
the
railgun :-). The wave gun is a possible fit for the plasma torp in
'Balance of
Terror'

The Cardassians initially phasers only - going on 'The Wounded' and
early DS9

-= tim jones =-

Prev: Re: FT: ST designing Next: Re: FT: Star Trek designing