Prev: Re: Sorry guys should have guessed Next: Re: Painting Camouflage on figs/tanks

Re: [OT] Pages on Geocities

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 13:37:46 +0100
Subject: Re: [OT] Pages on Geocities

>I seem to recall a few pages on te FT webring that are located on
>Geocities.  If yours is, you might want to look at the SJ Games "Daily
>Illuminator" for today -- http://www.sjgames.com/ill -- and follow the
link
>within, for your sake and for Mr. Tuffley's.  Basically, the new TOS
for
>Geocities pages gives Yahoo the right to use any content on your pages,
>ROYALTY-FREE, forever.  This has several permutations, but Steve
Jackson
>explains them beter than I do.  Take a look, though.  Especially if you
>have any official GZG stuff upon your site.
>John X Crimmins
>johncrim@voicenet.com
>  "...is one of the secret masters of the world: a librarian.
>They control information.  Don't ever piss one off."
>  --Spider Robinson, The Callahan Touch.

This has been a major topic of discussion for the last week or so on a
couple of Games Industry mailing lists that I'm on; it seems that Yahoo
and
Virgin are also trying the same stunt, and possibly others too. The
consensus on the lists is that it is wholly illegal (as well as immoral)
and unenforcable, but as with most things victory would probably go to
those with the biggest lawyers....  :-(

Maybe everyone should consider moving to smaller web space providers
that
have a rather better attitude to their customers.....  :-/

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: Sorry guys should have guessed Next: Re: Painting Camouflage on figs/tanks