Prev: Re: OT Lehrer Next: Re: Missile counter measures.

Re: Painting Camouflage on figs/tanks

From: David <dluff@e...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:11:23 -0400
Subject: Re: Painting Camouflage on figs/tanks

The only time I see the bright neon camo is for Ogre or supersize
vehicles (size 6 & 7).	Like the camo used on merchant ships during WWI,
called Razzle-Dazzle, the intend is to hide the bow of the ship and make
it harder for subs to figure the speed and direction of movement of the
ship.  The camo was not meant to hide the ship just like trying to hide
the ogre.

Brian Burger wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Thomas Barclay wrote:
>
> > Funny how serendipity works - this same conversation just happened
> > here days ago.
> >
> > A magazine article I read mentioned (roughly) the following:
> >
> > Camouflage is designed to obscure shape and form. Painting good
> > camouflage makes minis hard to see. It appauls artists and appeals
> > simulation gamers.
>
> I had more or less this disscussion with a friend a while back - I was
> saying that really good, authentic camo isn't what miniatures need,
they
> need camo that looks good, even if it shows up a bit more that camo
> should.
>
> Doesn't mean you should go the GW 40k (or Ogre) route of neon striped
> vehicles, but some compromise paint scheme.
>
> > 1. If painting camouflage, consider making it not quite in colours
> > that will match your terrain. At least then you can pick the fig out
> > on the table (I've actually had battles where well camm'd figs have
> > gotten forgotten about - "Sargeant, have you seen Williams?" "Now
that
> > you mention it, I haven't seen him since we moved out of the last
> > thicket...").
>
> <grin> None of my 15mm SG2 figures have camo facepaint on, not even
the
> two snipers, who are kitted out in full or partial ghillie suits but
still
> have skin-colored faces - it just doesn't look right, having a wholly
> cammoed figure - I find that I need that bit of flesh colour just to
say,
> "Hey, this is a human figure here!"....
>
> > 2. Use inks and washes or drybrushing to bring out the contrasting
> > features. Consider not painting faces, or painting some of the gear
on
> > your vehicles in other colours - metallics, or other shades of green
> > or brown - just something to catch the eye slightly.
>
> The Roco Minitank vehicles I've modified for SG2 are great for this -
all
> the vehicles have shovels, pickaxes, cables, all sorts of tools
modelled
> on the decks of the vehicles - they're great for adding little bits of
> detail onto the camo.
>
> > 4. If you want to paint camo, but want something good looking and
> > maybe even with a flavor for the troop type you are painting, pick a
> > historical scheme.
>
> The late-WW2 German army produced some very interesting camo schemes -
> especially the SS units, for some reason. Splotch & tigerstripe
schemes,
> 'ambush' schemes, load of others. Find a good color book of late-WW2
> German vehicles (Osprey or similar) and it'll provide you with loads
and
> loads of camoflauging inspiration & information. Most of my troops in
DS2
> & SG2 are done in camo schemes inspired by late-WW2 German
> paintjobs.
>
> Brian (yh728@victoria.tc.ca)
-DS2/SG2/FR!/HOTT-