Prev: Re: Another Camoflage Question Next: Painting Camouflage on figs/tanks

Re: Another Camoflage Question

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 18:28:28 -0400
Subject: Re: Another Camoflage Question

At 02:14 PM 6/27/99 -0700, you wrote:
>At 2:09 PM -0700 6/27/99, John Crimmins wrote:
>>I find this idea oddly appealing.  I've always liked the idea of the
>>liquid
>>crystal paint scheme that can be changed at the click of a button,
too.

>The mind staggers at the potential for practical jokes on your squadron
>mates...

You could program it to write "SHOOT ME" on the back of his tank, for
example....

>>I don't worry about realism as much as I do over what looks good, and
what
>>looks right on the table.  And ink is great stuff.  Gray ink is
especially
>>useful, I've found.
>

>Grey ink ? Do tell, I haven't come accross any of that. Sounds
>interesting. I take it that grey ink isn't just a washed-out black ?

I actually have two kinds: FW "Cool Gray" and Pelikan Gray.  Neither is
perfect, though.  The Pelikan is a little too light and covers very
badly,
but the FW is a little too dark and covers really well.  I usually mix
them
50/50, and add an equal amount of water.  This is darn near perfect, and
has kept me from bothering to find a better ink.  Because it isn't
black,
it doesn't stain the surface to the same degree that black does.  It
darkens it a little, but not nearly as much.

As to what I use them for....  Shading white, for one thing.  Adding a
gray
wash over a white base, and then doing a light drybrushing of white
afterwards, gives a great effect for white armor (like my UN troops).
You
can use it to add "5:00 shadow" to the faces of some of your troops..
You
can use it as a sort of "instant weathering" effect on some figures, as
well.

I don't use it every day, but I've found it to be a relatively versatile
tool.
John X Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
  --Spider Robinson, The Callahan Touch.

Prev: Re: Another Camoflage Question Next: Painting Camouflage on figs/tanks