Prev: Re: Ogre in DSII? Next: Re: [SG]: 15mm Mini Manufacturers?

Re: PT boats

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 18:27:51 +0200
Subject: Re: PT boats

Roger Books wrote:

> Has anyone tried doing SFB style PF's?  I'm wondering how they
> would fair against the big guys.

[snip]

> This would make the most sense in a campaign game because you
> aren't risking your FTL drive.  For game purposes it drops at
> distance.

You are risking your FTL drive if the enemy manages to slip a ship or
two behind your attack boats :-/

> So will this work in FT or am I wasting my time designing (and
> building miniatures for) a fleet based around this concept?

It doesn't work very well in FB if you pay for the tug (which you have
to do in a campaign), because even the cheapest, slowest, and therefore
most vulnerable tug you can build will cost you more than putting FTL
drives into your combat ships would. In short, you get less bang for
your bucks with a tug/sub-light attack boat combination than you would
with normal ships, provided you want tug capacity for all your
sub-light boats. If you have less tug capacity than you have sub-light
boats you can get more bang for your bucks than standard ships, but you
will be seriously hampered if you want to attack.

I'm not sure about FT2 - on the one hand, the FTL drive is much bigger
in FT2 than in FB (25% of the Mass rather than 10%), but on the other
FB tugs can carry up to 3.5 times their own Mass whereas an FT2 tug can
only carry up to its own Mass of other ships. On the whole, I think the
tug/strike boat concept is more effective using FB rules than FT2.

Best wishes,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Ogre in DSII? Next: Re: [SG]: 15mm Mini Manufacturers?