Prev: Re: 50 Fighter Groups Next: Re: Fighters and FlatTop Carriers

Re: PT boats

From: Medains <medains@i...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 13:58:39 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: PT boats

Roger Books wrote :

> For those who haven't dealt with it, the concept is a tug carrying
> a flotilla of non-FTL small ships, my concept of the PT boats would
> be along the lines of:

[snip design]

> This would make the most sense in a campaign game because you
> aren't risking your FTL drive.  For game purposes it drops at
> distance.
>
> Of course, this would also fit in with the LAC concept from HH.
>
> So will this work in FT or am I wasting my time designing (and
> building miniatures for) a fleet based around this concept?

IIRC a larger ship can have mass set aside for carrying smaller ships
internally (I can't remember the details offhand)  A decent sized
tender may be able to carry three or perhaps four of your ships.

I'm not sure how useful this would be against standard forces, though
you
are making a saving on FTL drive space on these smaller ships they will
be easily destroyed.  Scattering them between the ships in a larger
fleet
may have some value in that they are reasonably expendable and careful
positioning can help to screen your big boys from SML.

As far as your design goes, I might give them a little less in the way
of
thrust and at least a class 2 beam and use them as a close-in picket.
(The beam can be biased to one side and then keep to that side of the
fleet for maximum fire coverage)

These are all my personal opinion, which you may choose to discard as
you
will since I've not played that many games. ;)

--
Medains aka Colin Plummer

Located in York in the UK.

Prev: Re: 50 Fighter Groups Next: Re: Fighters and FlatTop Carriers