Prev: Re: beam classes: repairing; armour Next: Re: [SG]: 15mm Mini Manufacturers?

Re: Fighters

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 07:40:15 +0200
Subject: Re: Fighters

Fred and Evelyn Wolke wrote:

> Has anyone fought a battle involving capital ships on one side and
> destroyers (or smaller) on the other?

Yes.

> It would seem to me that if the smaller ships can survive to get into
the
> larger ship's blind spot, it's history... but the smaller ships are
> definitely going to die before they get there.

There are some problems with this:

First, it doesn't work very well unless the capital ship is alone. If
there are two capital ships (or lighter units escorting the capital)
and the player knows his stuff, one of them will be able to hit the
small fry.

Second, in the FB at least there is nothing to stop the capitals from
being as maneuverable as the small ships. This tends to make it
difficult to stay in the target's blind spot for more than one turn.

Third, in the FB there is no blind spot unless you use your main
engines, though most ships have arcs with only a few or short-ranged
weapons (Class-1s and PDS, usually).

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: beam classes: repairing; armour Next: Re: [SG]: 15mm Mini Manufacturers?