Prev: Re: [SG]: 15mm Mini Manufacturers? Next: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #328

Re: Vega?

From: Brad Holden <holden@t...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 10:30:50 -0500
Subject: Re: Vega?

So I looked through the astro databases.  Vega has a LARGE dust disk
around
it.  Its quite warm (70 K) and its absolutely huge.  Its been detected
out
to 140 Astronomical Units!  (Ok, its not an Oort cloud sized object but
its still 3 times larger then the orbit of Pluto.)

The one thing about Vega is its an A0V (actually its the canonical A0V)
which means its about 100 times brighter then the sun has a surface
temperature of around 10,000K.	This means its quite a bit warmer and
therefore its "habitable" zone (defined as the volume of space where
the amount of light is about the same as we receive from the sun here
on earth) is bigger.  However, all that dust will absorb the light from
the star, which is probably why it is so warm.	Quite possibly the
top and bottom of the disk will be inhabitlable but the middle will be
dark and dusty (<achoo>).

cheers
Brad

Prev: Re: [SG]: 15mm Mini Manufacturers? Next: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #328