Prev: Re: SFSFW for Re: Brigade Models in US? Next: Re: Chuck's New Web Page.......

Credit card sales (was: Re: Brigade Models in US?)

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:53:12 +0100
Subject: Credit card sales (was: Re: Brigade Models in US?)

>> Barring a NA source a source that ships overseas and accepts
>> credit cards would work also.
>
>Credits cards ... hmmm. We looked into those and the cost came out out
>to £20 (US $30) per month to hire the 'swipe' box. That's a pretty
hefty
>chunk of our sales and an even bigger chunk of our profits (we're a
very
>small outfit, you see). I don't think the potential increase in sales
>would offset the cost of the box, unfortunately (unless there's a large
>number of people out there waving their credit cards and ready to prove
>me wrong).
>

>I don't suppose you could split a box with two or three similar-minded
>folks, one of whom would actually keep the box and run the cards, then
send
>you a check?  Not that I'm likely to be ordering anything myself, I
still
>have my Early Crusaders to paint from 2-3 years ago...

Unfortunately, this doesn't work.  The merchant services companies (the
credit card issuers) are VERY strict about merchants NOT processing card
transactions on behalf of third parties, with the threat of suspension
of
service for any who do so. Apparently this is a fairly big area of
credit
card crime, with "laundering" of transactions via stolen cards, so they
are
understandably very tight on it. They are also extremely careful as to
who
they provide card facilities for, all applicants having to produce
several
years' trading accounts and references.
On top of the fixed charges that Tony mentions (plus a hefty one-off
"joining fee"), there is also a % charge on every transaction processed,
which the trader has to subsidise out of his profit margin, and with a
small turnover business the rates are much higher (in % terms) than for
large companies.

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: SFSFW for Re: Brigade Models in US? Next: Re: Chuck's New Web Page.......