Prev: Re: praises for Jon & GZG Next: Re: Home-made bases.

Re: Home-made bases.

From: -MWS- <Hauptman@c...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 17:35:49 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Home-made bases.

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Izenberg, Noam wrote:

> I believe this has been broached before, so can anyone point me to
> discussions on home-made (or hardware store ingredient) stands for
both
> large (BB-DN) and small (CT-FF) FT scale ships?
>
> Noam

Besides the link to http://www.stellargames.com/bases.htm that was
already
suggested, I can offer a few more suggestions that I've used for my
"non-GZG"
K'rathri ship figs.

1) I glue a 1 1/4" flat fender washer on the bottom of *all* of my
bases.
This allows me to line my carry cases with adhesive magnetic sheeting,
so all
of my ships can be transported with requiring 2-part stands and foam
cushioning.

2) For the lighter ships, I just go ahead and use the plastic hex bases
that
they normally come with - glued to a 1 1/4" fender washer.  This makes
the
base size the same diameter as the Geohex clock bases.	Small pieces of
strip
styrene glued to the base make the tick marks.

3) I tried making a scratch built base for one of my heavy AOG Centauri
ships
(a la the Stellar Games instructions), and I found that it was *much*
more
bother than it was worth.  A simpler solution was to use one of the
Geohex
bases and replace the cast upright with a brass rod of equivalent
diameter -
it easily holds the weight without bending.

Mark "Hauptmann" Shurtleff
  email: hauptman@sfcmd.com -or- hauptman@concentric.net
       The Gear Locker:  http://www.sfcmd.com/HeavyGear/
	   Full Thrust:  http://www.sfcmd.com/fullthrust/

 Finagle's Law:
   The perversity of the Universe tends towards the maximum.

Prev: Re: praises for Jon & GZG Next: Re: Home-made bases.