Prev: Re: An introduction Next: Re: An introduction

[OT] Old SF game reminiscences... (was: Re: An introduction AND EVEN AN ON TOPIC BIT!

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:48:23 +0100
Subject: [OT] Old SF game reminiscences... (was: Re: An introduction AND EVEN AN ON TOPIC BIT!

>Ground Zero Games wrote:
>> Born 1959* (good year that, especially for Cadillacs... ).

[snip]

>> Jon (GZG)
>>
>> * For the arithmetically-challenged, yes, that DOES mean I turn the
big
>> four-oh this year.... ;-)
>

>I turned 40 in December.  So when's your turn?  :-)

July 10th.....	:-/

>Let's see...  There was Starguard, Space Marine, Alien Space, and the
Star
>Fleet Battle Manual.  All the same early games.  I brought Alien Space
with
>me to the first GZG-ECC Convention and nobody recognized it.

Yup. Had 'em all except for Alien Space - never did get that one. Have
still got an early ed of Starguard, the SFBM and the reissued FGU Space
Marines book (lent my FanTac original to someone long ago and never got
it
back...) Triplanetary. Other notable things from the same period are
Dave
Rotor's original "Galactic Warfare" rules from Skytrex, which were
(IMHO)
not very good, so they inspired me to do better, which led to writing
what
eventually became FT, and I also have TTG's old Galactic War (not be be
confused with the Skytrex rules above), which is an A5 size microgame
with
cut-out ship counters.
I was never very heavily into board wargames, so missed out on stuff
like
Triplanetary - too busy spending what spare cash I had on miniatures!

>was my first science fiction game and it saw heavy use.  The black box
>Traveller set is still in my collection as well as the Striker rule set
and
>various editions of the Ogre rules.  I wish I'd bought more Ogre
figures
>when they were available.
>
>I used to own Sorcerer too with the colored magic and units.  The
colors would
>determine the combat strength of your units on a given hex.   I think I
>sold it
>in an Internet auction along with SPI's War of the Ring.

It was a surprisingly good game, I thought... one of the few SPI ones I
actually played more than a couple of times. Sold it some time back with
bunch of other SPI games, but this is the one I wish I'd kept!

>A lot of fun gaming memories....
>
>Jon

Ah, the old days... 25mm figures for 9p each, no bl**dy  CCGs, GW was a
"proper" games shop.....   ;-)

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: An introduction Next: Re: An introduction