Prev: Re: An introduction Next: Re: An introduction

Re: Size of Orbital Bases

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 21:13:48 -0700
Subject: Re: Size of Orbital Bases

>I'm trying to decide on how big (Mass points) an orbital defense
>platform should be for a *possible* upcoming PBEM. I'm leaning towards
>2-3 times as large as a fleets SDN. Any suggestions?

I'd agree with the previous post of approximately 400.

After all, it would be the devil of a time moving the things, so you
need
to make sure that they're at the right spot in the right system. Add to
that the fact that someone has to pay for the thing, and "titanic"
spacestations soon become unfeasable.

In fact, I'd recommend a slightly different strategy for orbitral
defense.
One larger "control" station (perhaps planetbound?) and several smaller
satalites (say MASS 80). That way a tug could easily mover them, and you
can design them to take advantage of mutual support and interlocking
fields of fire.

I'm just brainstorming out loud here, but it seems like it might work.

Schoon

Prev: Re: An introduction Next: Re: An introduction