Prev: Re: HKP's (was....] Next: Re: FT: campaign 98 sensor rules, pre-combat

Re: FT: campaign 98 sensor rules, pre-combat

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@p...>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 17:58:59 -0700
Subject: Re: FT: campaign 98 sensor rules, pre-combat

Glen Bailey wrote:

> Thanks, John, for the campaign 98 sensors rules.
> I like those ranges much better.  I hadn't seen
> those and it looks like you didn't include
> everything (i.e., ECM/stealth systems and their
> levels, mass, and points).
> Are they available somewhere?
>
> Generally, in a campaign, how close did anyone
> get before realizing they were outgunned and
> "warped" out?  Or is it just as easy to say
> "Hmm, you have 5 cruiser and 4 destroyer sized
> hulls while I have 1 cruiser and 3 destroyers,
> I think I'll leave."? Then everyone can get to the
> next strategic turn.	(I've had this problem
> in creating and running a Star Fleet Battles
> campaign)

Gene,
     Some of the rules for the campaign 98.   JTL

		     CAMPAIGN 98 PRODUCTION RULES
		 John Leary (john_t_leary@pronetus.net)

01)  Each player start out with a planet that produces
     10 mass at 10 points per mass.
     Note: To increase prodution of planet mass/points,
     put 3 mass into planet to increase production
     by one mass point to the maximum available.

02)  Each player has an orbital ship building facility
     (mass 40) that can produce ship/s of up to mass 40.
     Note: To increase the mass size/number of ships that
     can be produced at the facility put mass into facility
     to increase its size/mass.
     Note: The facility may construct a number of ships,
     but the sum of the mass of these may not excede the
     mass of the facility.
     Note: Every ship under construction must have at least
     1 mass added to it every turn until completed.
     Examples of ship costs:
     For the purpose of building the perfect ship is one that
     has a point cost that is equal to ten times its mass, any
     other design will suffer wastage.
     Example 1: a standard DD, mass 14 costs 92 points, the actual
     cost is 14 in mass and 140 points. 0 mass/48 points of waste.
     Example 2: a battleship, mass 54 cost 586, the actual cost
     is 59 in mass and 590 points.   5 mass/4 points of waste.
     (Note: Every ship that is built must undergo 'trials'.
     Trials is simply a 1D6 roll with a 6 as a failure for
     every system on the ship.	 If a system fails one
     mass/point per failure is need for repair.   This can
     be done outside of the build facility.)

03)  The points available for the initial build will be 3000.
     From this pool of points the player must build:
     1) Starting combat fleet.
     2) Starting transport fleet.
     3) Starting shuttle fleet.
     4) Starting exploration fleet.
     5) Reserve missiles and fighters. (If allowed)
     Note: No ship may be larger than the build facility mass.
     Note: The build facility will have ships in progress equal
     to half of the facilitys mass at the start of the game.
     Note: For turn one only the ships under construction may
     be launched if the mass requirement is completed.

04)  Mass/points must be transported to a system which has a build
     facility to be useful.  A freighter may transport mass/points
     equal to its unused systems capacity.

05)  Neutral planets and solar system mass/points is equal to some
     value determined by random die roll.   Discovery of
     a planet and establishment of a colony/mine will yield up to
     the planets value in mass/points depending on the results of
     the survey performed by the surveying ship.
     Survey results chart:     1st turn  2nd turn  3rd turn
	    Standard sensor:	1D3	  1D3	    1D2
	    Enhanced sensor:	1D6	  1D3	    1D2
	    Superior sensor:	1D6	  1D6	    1D3
	    X grade sensors:	1D6	  1D6	    1D6
     Note: sensor sweep information is cumulative to maximum.
     Note: The information gained by the survey ships must be
     carried back to the homeworld prior to dispatch
     of colony/mine ships if this information is about a system
     other than the 'home' system.

06)  Establishment of a habitable colony requires the transportation
     to the planet of 1 colonist (mass) for each mass/point
     the colony is expected to produce, plus support equipment.

07)  Establishment of a mine in a hostile enviroment requires
     3 colonist (mass) for each point the mine is expected to
     produce, plus support equipment.

08)  Shuttles to orbit/moom and return can be done in one turn.
     Shuttles to another planet in system take one turn out
     and one turn back.

09)  For an FTL freighter to go to another
     system and return the process is as follows:
     1) move to edge of home system. (EOS)
     2) FTL to destination system edge.
     3) move to destination planet.
     4) unload/load cargo.
     5) move to edge of destination system.
     6) FTL to home system edge.
     7) move to home planet.

10)  Enemy and hostile neutrals produce at half the planets
     rated capacity (round down) when captured.

11)  Repair of battle damaged ships:
     1) Damage control parties do temporary repairs to place
	damaged systems back on line while in space.
	A DCP cannot repair hull damage boxes.
     2) Permanent repair of ships occures at a build facility
	and costs one mass to repair one hull damage box,
	this repair automatically fixes all damaged systems.
     3) Repair in the facility takes place provided space
	and mass/points are available for the ship.
	(Ships that have undergone trials need not remain
	in the facility until repairs are completed if an
	enemy force attacks the system/planet.)

12)   Players may purchase a 'Self-destruct' device to be placed
      on ships.   The cost is 10 points.   Mass equals one.
      Damage equals 2D6 and the device can be detected by scan.
      (This is a missile warhead W/ self contained power source)

13)   Reloads for Submunitions and scatterguns: For the system
      cost and mass, two reloads are acquired.	 For transport,
      two reloads equal one mass.

14)   Missile reloads weigh the same as a missile, and transport
      is equal to mass of the missile.	Transported missiles may
      not be used by a civil transport.

15)   For 13 and 14 above the comstruction of the reloads may be
      considered a 'Batch Job' and points paid accordingly.
      (I.E. 5 missiles as a 'batch job' would take 10 mass
      and cost 30 points to build.   If built individually
      each would take 2 mass and 10 points to complete.)

(What follows is the basis for the campaign rules and some
items were slightly modified from the following.   The mention
of the Ileari and the MCLM are two alien races designed for
(my) use in the campaign.)   JTL

		    RULES FOR SCENARIO/CAMPAIGN
			 By John Leary

     THESE ARE CHANGES/ADDITIONS TO THE FULL THRUST RULES,
AND MAY BE CALLED 'HOUSE RULES' FOR THE SCENARIOS THAT WILL
BE RUN OVER THE WINTER OF '97-'98.

SENSORS:
     STANDARD: RANGE  60", MISSILE KILL ON A 6.
     E-SENSOR: RANGE 120", MISSILE KILL ON A 5+.
     S-SENSOR: RANGE 240", MISSILE KILL ON A 5+.
NAC, FCT: AT MASS AND COST PER RULES.	NO X-SENSORS.
NSL, FSE, UNSC: PLUS 1 MASS, 2X COST.	NO X-SENSORS.
ESU, IF, RH: 3X MASS, 3X COST.	NO S/X-SENSORS.
KRA'VAK, SHA'VASKU: STANDARD SENSORS ONLY.
ILEARI: AT MASS AND COST PER ILEARI RULES.
MCLM: AT MASS AND COST PER MCLM RULES.
1)   A HIGHER GRADE SENSOR MAY NOT BE DETECTED BY A LOWER GRADE
SENSOR WHEN MAKING A SCAN.    ONLY THE GRADE OF SENSOR IS KNOWN,
THE TYPE OF SHIP IT IS MOUNTED ON IS NOT DISCLOSED.
2)   STEALTH REDUCES DETECTION RANGE BY FIFTY PERCENT.

POINTS: IF A POINT VALUE IS SPECIFIED IN THE NEWS LETTER,
PLAYERS ARE INVITED TO DESIGN CUSTOM SHIPS PER THE DESIGN RULES.
PLEASE ADVISE ME IF YOU ARE DOING A FLEET, YOUR SQUADRON WILL
REPLACE THE SQUADRON CURRENTLY IN THE SCENARIO.
(PLEASE, NO NOVA, WAVE, OR REFLEX ON SHIPS, CLOAKS HAVE BEEN
ASSIGNED TO AN ALIEN RACE AND ARE NOT AVAILABLE.)

FIGHTERS: FIGHTERS NEED TO BE IN BASE TO BASE CONTACT TO HAVE
COMBAT.   FIGHTERS MAY EXCEED SPEED 12, BUT MUST MOVE PER SHIP
RULES.	 (FIGHTERS ARE CONSIDERED TO BE AT SPEED ZERO AT THE END
OF EVERY NORMAL FIGHTER MOVE.	THE PLAYER NEEDS TO ANNOUNCE
THAT HE IS RETAINING SPEED FOR THE NEXT TURN.)

ORDER OF MOVEMENT:
 1) NORMAL MISSILES.
 2) THRUST 1 AND 2 SHIPS
 3) THRUST 3 AND 4 SHIPS
 4) THRUST 5 AND 6 SHIPS
 5) THRUST 7 AND 8 SHIPS
 6) FIGHTERS MOVING AS SHIPS
 7) DISPLACEMENTS OCCURE AT 2X CURRENT THRUST
 8) GUIDED MISSILES
 9) FIGHTERS
10) ANTI-FIGHTER AND ANTI-MISSILE MISSILES.

COMBAT:
   COMBAT OCCURES IN REVERSE ORDER FROM MOVEMENT.

Further notes on the campaign should be mentioned, but I have
other thing to do tonight.   I will try to answer questions as
they come up.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: HKP's (was....] Next: Re: FT: campaign 98 sensor rules, pre-combat