Prev: RE: DSII for modern Next: SG2/TBP

Re: FT: all this Stealth

From: "John C" <john1x@h...>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 18:45:42 GMT
Subject: Re: FT: all this Stealth

>So far I haven't seen anything written I would use
>for sensor rules.  I think the ranges are too short
>and I haven't seen any variable stealth factors or
>benefits.  Stealth benefits should be massive (to
>cut down on the number of weapons and large drives)
>and costly in points.	This way a very stealthy
>ship ("cloaked"; btw, I hate the FT cloak rules) may
>get to a very close range but its firepower will be
>limited.
>
>I'm basing my opinion on TV shows and movies (yeah,
>I know, "very realistic"); sensors detect ships long
>before ships are in weapons' range.  There are exceptions
>(for plot reasons <g>), but that is what they should be:
>exceptions or ships designed for stealth.
>
>Glen

Personally, I like the Mimbari ECM (from the EFSB) as a fine stealth
system.
  Just declare that it cannot be used if the ship fires or spends more
than
one (maybe two or three, for higher levels of Stealth) point of thrust.

Better sensors would just give a bonus on the roll to "lock on".

I've also toyed with the idea of allowing a ship with Stealth to have
TWO
miniatures on the table -- only one is real; the other is simply a
representation of the ship's attempt to spoof the enemy's sensors.  Any
successful fire at the false ship will expose its unreality, and on the
next
turn the Stealth ship may again move two ships, both starting from the
position of the "real" ship.  The false ship could never be more than
six or
nine inches away from the real one, and any enemy that is less than a
foot
away can automatically determine the true position of the ship.  And of
course Stealth II would allow you to put three ships on the table, and
Stealth III would let you place four....

Interesting though this idea may be, however, I doubt that I will use
for
anything other than an occasional scenario.  I wouldn't want to have to
deal
with moving all those fake ships; it would slow down play waaay too
much.  I
think that it would be fun for a change of pace, though.  Maybe I could
use
it for Alien tech one of these days.

John Crimmins		john1x@hotmail.com	 johncrim@voicenet.com
	http://www.voicenet.com/~johncrim/index.html
    Home of "Destroy All Monsters!" and other nonsense.

Prev: RE: DSII for modern Next: SG2/TBP