Prev: RE: Attention JT and KR... Next: RE: DSII for modern

Re: OT: B.T. How did you do that?

From: "djwj" <djwj@e...>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 09:26:22 -0600
Subject: Re: OT: B.T. How did you do that?

therubydragon wrote:

**********
I'll Have you know that My 1st Urbanmech Battalion Took on and
defeted a Clan Assault Binary! The Urban mechs were all STD Fasa
Designs. How did I do it?
1. Hiddin Units in City
2. decent Die rolls
3. Death from Above.

Mind you I only had 3 Functional mechs left after wards but... IT Was
a Win (and it took FOREVER to play)
*******

Questions:
    1 How big was the table, and at how many inches per "hex". The table
is
crowded at the company level(12 mechs or 24 tanks), at three times that
population there probably wasn't enough room to manuver because of the
edge
of the world phemenon, and clan are fast, they need room, but they don't
typically have Jump Jets.
    2 What year UrbanMechs? there are 2 "standard" designs (3025, 3050)
and
1 variant(3025).
    3 What was your opposition?
    4 We know you rolled well, how did your opponent roll? (did he/she
fail
every piloting roll?, 9/10ts of their gunnery rolls?...)
    5 What is your experience playing Battletech?
    6 What was your opponents experience? (I have seen less experienced
people playing such large games because they don't know how much time it
takes to plat B.T. In High School I had a friend that proposed to have a
4
way battle between 4 companies.)

I know this is the GZG list but I think the first question is important
for
scenario design regardless of the game. It may be a fun *idea* to have a
battle between two players entire model collections (I've heard that
proposed more than once for DSII), but there are certan practicalities
about
how many figures you can put on the table at once. It dosen't matter how
manuverable you are if every piece of cover is occoupied, every square
inch
of table is covered by someone's arc of fire, ect.

The remainder of the questions are important (designs, experience,
luck-at-the-time) to determine the important thing, can you REPEAT that
victory? Your margin of success wasn't that great (3 out of 36 mecha
still
operational, less than 10% of your defending forces, periphery bandits
promptly looted your city afterwards, and stole the Clan slavage.) if
the
winds of fate blow diffrently next time will you win regardless of the
die
rolls?

Prev: RE: Attention JT and KR... Next: RE: DSII for modern