Prev: Star Wars Action Fleet Rebel Cruiser Next: RE: Name that doodad, greeble, keg of beer, or whatever.

Re: Langston Field Generator

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 08:37:32 -0400
Subject: Re: Langston Field Generator

    Phil wrote:
    >>	  Langston Field:  Mass: 10 Cost: 60 Full Thrust points.
	For each Langston Field generator build four rows of ten
diamonds
(just like hull boxes) to represent the field absorption chart.  Each
Langston Field can absorb up to 40 points of damage before collapsing.
When
this occurs, all 40 points go immediately into the Hull (not armour).
Each
Langston field can radiate 5 points of damage each turn (wait a full
turn
from the first attack to start bleeding).  Each Langston Field can
absorb up
to 10 points of damage in a single turn, any damage in excess of this
goes
into the hull and or armour, this models the burn through factor where a
local spike occurs before the field can distribute the energy.	When the
field is on and no damage has been done the ship gains one level of
stealth,
this models the active and passive energies being absorbed into the
field.
After the first five points of damage this advantage is lost.  For each
row
filled on the field absorption chart the ship has a negative stealth
shift,
due to other ships being able to see this bright shining object even
easier.
When the first row on the field absorption chart is filled, the ship
cannot
use any passive detection systems.  When the second row on the field
absorption chart is filled, the ship cannot use any sensor systems, only
fire control systems on ships it already is tracking.  When the third
row on
the field absorption chart is filled, the ship cannot maneuver or fire.
When
the final row on the field absorption chart is filled, the field
collapses,
the generator is destroyed, all 40 points are applied as hull damage,
and if
the ship somehow survives, roll an additional threshold check on all
systems
as if it lost another hull row.<<

    These are pre-Motie, non-expanding Fields, I take it.
    I'd disagree that the ship loses sensors that quickly.  Even when
ships
are in violet, they can open a hole to erect a radio mast (to
surrender);
they could extend other sensors as well if they didn't mind getting shot
for
doing it.  When the Field is hot and they lose their cameras, it's
because
the sensors aren't protected by the Field and therefore get burned off
when
enemy lasers or torpedoes strike.
    I'm not sure about the "no maneuver and no fire" bit.
    I'm also not sure about the "10 points in a turn" burnthrough; I'd
rather it were something like "5 points from a single ship's attack."
My
impression is that beam fire doesn't usually cause burn-throughs, it
just
heats up the Field, so having three escorts standing off plinking away
with
Beam 1's shouldn't do it even if they cause 10 points of damage.

Prev: Star Wars Action Fleet Rebel Cruiser Next: RE: Name that doodad, greeble, keg of beer, or whatever.