Prev: Re: [BFG] Eldar Shadow-class cruiser Next: RE: Name that doodad, greeble, keg of beer, or whatever.

Re: [BFG] Eldar Shadow-class cruiser

From: Aaron Teske <ateske@H...>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 07:18:16 -0400
Subject: Re: [BFG] Eldar Shadow-class cruiser

At 11:34 AM 5/12/99 +0100, Jon (zzalsjfw???) wrote:
>On 12 May 99, at 6:26, Nyrath the nearly wise wrote:
>> Aaron Teske wrote:
>> > My first thought on assembly: you're not going to get away with
just
>> > using superglue.  Either use something stronger, or (my favorite)
pin
>> > like crazy.
>>  Nice review! Thanks for the info.
>Indeed. Friend of mine preordered the Eldar Battle fleet and it arrived

>Monday. It's a fair heap of metal at a not unreasonable (by GW
standards
>anyway) price.

Actually, this looks fairly true of all the ships.  I'm not sure if the
prices on Geohex's page are pre- or post-swapping out the metal stands
(3
heavy frigates for $6.50, I think it's pre- actually... KR?) but GW's
prices are pretty competitive with that.

Well, apart from the battleships.  But that's another issue.

>Of course, soon after he ordered they changed the bundle -
>added another cruiser worth £8 and put the bundle price up by £10...

Heh!  I decided early on that the "savings" in the bundle was enough to
justify taking the business away from my local store... especially since
the store owner is seeing what he can do to get some of the little
extras
for me, no charge. ^_^

>>  And for us poor novices, would you please explain the
>>  process of "pinning?"  Do you drill holes with a
>>  Dremel tool and insert metal pins?
>Exactly that. The idea is that you then glue the pins into each side of
the
>two objects you want to pin together. The trick is doing the drilling
right
>so the bits fit together with the pins in :).

Yup!  It's something that just improves with practice... I really
started
off on pinning with RAFM's Heavy Gear minis, which were pretty easy
since
they're nice, flat surfaces; the Shadow cruiser is a little trickier
(you
need to watch out, for example, that the pins for the wings don't bump
into
each other, or the flying stand hole -- I drill deep) but not too much
so.

>I've found that generally snipping the 'straight' bits of paper clips
make
>'pins' good enough for the job. You just need something fairly thin but

>rigid.

Paper clips are great, especially if you find a box that lists their
diameter so sizing your drill bit is easy. ^_^	(I use a .040" drill bit
with smaller clips, an .028" bit with actual sewing pins, and a .055" (I
think) bit for the thicker paper clips.)

>AlthougH I don't use a dremel tool - it seems a bit overkill to me. You
can
>do deep enough holes easily by hand with a pinvice.

Though beware trying to drill too many holes in the same sitting; I
drilled
something like 40 holes one night, assembling the carrier that's on my
web
page (where the fighters "dock" on the carrier), and ended up with some
bruises and a very sore hand the next day....

Later,

					Aaron Teske
					ateske@HICom.net
LAUNCH DAY!
A totally unprovoked attack on peaceful neighbors. Must be the race
file. Does strange things.
		--Rick Kucejko, on the War Monger PRT in Stars!

Prev: Re: [BFG] Eldar Shadow-class cruiser Next: RE: Name that doodad, greeble, keg of beer, or whatever.