Prev: Orbits/planets (was:Re: DS2-Orbital Bombardment) Next: Re: DS2-Orbital Bombardment

Re: DS2-Orbital Bombardment

From: I am NOT my long lost twin <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 07:23:46 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: DS2-Orbital Bombardment

>>Secondly it rather depends if you are orbiting with or against the
planets
>rotation :). If they aren't using their own power and are against the
>rotation a 1.5 hour orbit is *very* low.
>	How low? Let's take the average and use a polar orbit or do all
three
>cases, with, against and across the rotation of the earth.
>	Didn't Sputnik orbit the earth every 90 minutes? I could be
wrong as I was
>very young at the time and my digital stop watch wasn't working... ;)

IIRC most satellites in what is called 'low Earth orbit' (of ~100-400 or
so miles up) zip around Earth in ~90 minutes. The Hubble hangs out at
~370 miles and orbits every 96.5 minutes (that's one satellite I gots
da facts for :)

Mk
-
Dr T: "I'm speechless"

Indy: "No you're not; you're still talking"

Prev: Orbits/planets (was:Re: DS2-Orbital Bombardment) Next: Re: DS2-Orbital Bombardment