Prev: ROCKET FLIGHT by Sierra Madre Games Next: Re: USA Timeline (was: RE: I'm Back)

Re: USA Timeline (was: RE: I'm Back)

From: Donald Hosford <hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 22:45:45 -0400
Subject: Re: USA Timeline (was: RE: I'm Back)

Jonathan Jarrard wrote:

> Laserlight wrote:
> I am intimately familiar with the Church/State debate, and while I
will
> grant you that the original intent was not to completely eliminate
> religion from government, there was certainly an intent to prevent
> anything that smacked of establishing a state church.  The way the
> contacts with the Vatican (both pre and post exodus) are presented
sound
> way too close for comfort.  And while you can postulate almost
anything
> you like happening during the American exile (the bizarre development
of
> Kerensky's forces in the BattleTech universe, for instance), I have
> trouble seeing the Federales doing it before they even left.

The way I see it, they are not starting a "state church".  They are
providing an
opertunity for the church to be involved -- not a state church, but to
provide a
familier moral base to their society.  America without its churches,
would stop
being the america the travellers knew.

(America didn't end, it just moved...)

(OTOH, if someone wants the americans to come back different, have fun!)

Donald Hosford

Prev: ROCKET FLIGHT by Sierra Madre Games Next: Re: USA Timeline (was: RE: I'm Back)