Prev: Re: Sensor Range Question [Evasion] Next: Re: Locating minis

Re: Sensor Range Question [Evasion]

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 18:50:09 +0200
Subject: Re: Sensor Range Question [Evasion]

Keith Watt wrote:

> I don't think you quite realize how big the Oort Cloud is.  It ranges
from
> 10,000 to 100,000 AU.  That's about 4 x 10^15 cubic AU you've got to
> cover.  You say they aren't long range, so let's say each probe can
cover
> a cubic AU (a -lot- of space).  If you can crank out 10 probes a day,
it's
> going to take you approximately 3 billion years to have your net in
> place...

'Course, if you're satisfied with a single-probe deep shell around the
10,000 AU perimeter you only need 400,000,000 probes, so if you can
emplace 10 per day it only takes you about 110,000 years to build the
net. (Building the things probably isn't that much of a problem
compared to getting them all in position!)

'Course, since these things were also not supposed to be extremely
durable the first ones emplaced probably won't last 110,000 years...

Djwj, I think I'll return the price you gave me <g>

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Sensor Range Question [Evasion] Next: Re: Locating minis