Prev: Re: [OT] physics help Next: Re: Sensor Range Question [Evasion]

RE: [OT] physics help

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 11:29:12 +0100 (BST)
Subject: RE: [OT] physics help

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Robertson, Brendan wrote:

> 1202.9 m/s
>
> Thats if I got the mass right (200,000,023 kg ?)
>
> I found a useful website with a java calculator that does this.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/8821/telescope.html

perversely enough, this isn't the result i got when i put the data into
the form you mention, and neither your or my result from the form match
the results i calculated, which in turn do not match laserlight's
original
value. having looked at the form's code, i have to report a highly
suspect
value for the universal gravitational constant there, if i bung in the
numbers for ganymede, i get an escape velocity about 100 times larger
than
lightspeed. and yet you seem to have got an answer in the right order of
magnitude. weird.

Tom

Prev: Re: [OT] physics help Next: Re: Sensor Range Question [Evasion]