Prev: Re: [PBeM] Estrell Battleship Duel - Players needed Next: Re: [CON] Date change for GZG-ECC III - March 24-26, 2000

Re: [FT] Sensor range question (and Evasion)

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:19:21 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Sensor range question (and Evasion)

>>> My take is that an evasive maneuver is both more contingent and more
>>> violent:
>>>
>>> Evasive Maneuvers - Reaction to fire. Can be declared by a target
ship
>after
>>> an attacking ship declares weapon fire against target ship,
>
>I don't know about you, but I don't call my enemy's ship ahead of time
and
>say "Look here, old chap, I'm going to be shooting at you right after
my
>gunners finish tea, frightfully sorry and all that."  Speed-of-light
weapons
>mean you need to be dodging _before_ you know someone is shooting.

Yes, but in some cases there may be PSB reasons to get at least SOME
warning that you are about to be fired on -  "They're opening gunports,
Sir...", "Massive energy spike from enemy vessel - they're charging
their
weapons..." "We're being painted by a targetting sensor..."
I'm not saying any or all will necessarily apply to the GZG-verse, but
you
can usually think up an excuse for most things.... :-)

Jon (GZG)