Prev: Re: [FT] Sensor Range Question Next: Re: I'm Back

Re: [FT] Sensor Range Question

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 19:36:58 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Sensor Range Question

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> Thomas Anderson wrote:
>
> > i don't know how it's done in FB; i assume the last step is replaced
> by
> > "place the ship at R, facing in the direction Q>R".
>
> Drop the part after the last comma and you're there - you can rotate
at
> any point during the turn, including at the end of the move.

aaaaah! of course. so FB vector movement is time-taking burns and
instant
turns combined in any order you want. basically, you can repeatedly
apply
my simple vector movement over the duration of one turn, optionally
finishing with a turn and a zero-length burn. ingenious. i take my hat
off
once more to St St St Jon :-).

> > the thing about instant turns is that it follows that all ships
> should be
> > allowed unlimited turning (at the start of the move), which isn't
> terribly
> > good for gameplay.
>
> But it is the way the FB rules work... and, well - I've seen lots of
> people turn their ships in the wrong way anyway <g>

i suppose in vector, turning doesn't have the same effect on your course
as in cinematic, so it's not so bad. and as you say, the more options
you
give players, the more ways your opponents have to mess up :-).

Tom

Prev: Re: [FT] Sensor Range Question Next: Re: I'm Back