Prev: Horatio Hornblower: Accuracy ? Next: Re: [FT] Sensor Range Question

Re: [FT] Sensor Range Question

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 18:54:08 +0200
Subject: Re: [FT] Sensor Range Question

Thomas Anderson wrote:

> > > s =	fat^2
> >
> > Ahem. The total time you burn your thrusters is f * t, so you get
> >
> > s	=	a * (ft)^2
>
> Ahem. The total time you spend travelling is t. if you burn at a for
ft,
> then you get v = aft. if you then travel at that speed for some time
u,
> you travel s = uv = uaft. although u = (1-f)t, for very small f, u =
t, so
> s = aft^2.

Doh! You're right, of course. The error you get in s by approximating u
~ t is roughly f/2%.

> > 'Course, if you assume f = 1 you need more complicated vector
> > movement rules to stay realistic <G>
>
> that's the thing; the mechanics clearly describe an impulse-type
> drive. i think it's fairly simple to fix the rules though; it's just
a pain
> keeping track of two velocities every turn.

It is quite simple. If the thruster pushes go on throughout the entire
turn the ship ends up exactly half-way between the "coasting end point"
and the point where the FTFB Vector rules would put it, but the new
movement vector is calculated between the starting point and the point
FTFB specifies. No more to keep track of than now, but it takes a bit
longer to execute each move.

Of course this "half-distance move" is slightly off if the ship has to
spend time turning, but with 15-minute turns the time required to turn
the ship around should be small enough that the error is <<1 mu. I
usually can't move my ships with half-mm precision :-7

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Horatio Hornblower: Accuracy ? Next: Re: [FT] Sensor Range Question