Prev: Re: [FT] Sensor range question (and Evasion) Next: Horatio Hornblower: Accuracy ?

RE: [FT] Sensor Range Question

From: Nathan Pettigrew <nathanp@M...>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 09:24:39 -0700
Subject: RE: [FT] Sensor Range Question

You've summed it up very well, I think.  The rub is to abstract this
into an
easy to use, but reasonably realistic sensor rules.

Some aspects to capture:
* long range jump detection (measured in AU?)
"Sir, four ships have jumped in system outside the designated
civilian/merchant jump zone.  Should we send a sortie to investigate?"

* long range plot (500MU-1k MU?)
"Sir, the four bogeys have just come into max sensor range.  They are on
course 136, speed 40MU/turn and accelerating."

* mid range plot (100MU-500MU?)
"Sir, Bogey Alpha is 160 MASS, Baker is 80 MASS, Charlie and Delta are
40
MASS each.  Emissions indicate they are most likely FSE.

* combat range (0-100MU?)
"Sir, Captain Bridgeworth's task force has engaged the enemy.  I confirm
that Alpha is a Bonaparte, most likely VFE Ceasar.  Baker is a Jerez,
very
likely VFE Cadiz with that quirky ZC-1800 drive.  Charlie and Delta
appear
to be 2 Triestes.  Their signatures are not in our database at this
time.
Recording.

Throw in some ECM/cloaking and drones/weasels and you're in business.

Or something like that.

<snip>

> that's basically what i am saying too.
>
> Tom

Nathan

Prev: Re: [FT] Sensor range question (and Evasion) Next: Horatio Hornblower: Accuracy ?