Prev: Re: I'm Back

Re: [FT] Sensor range question

From: Jerry Han <jhan@c...>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 23:28:10 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Sensor range question

Laserlight wrote:
> >Of course, it also depends upon how bright your engines are too...
>
> I make the assumption that everyone is stealthed to a greater or
lesser
> degree.

Yeah, but, depending on how the engines 'work', it's a lot harder
to hide a huge engine heat bloom versus the relative 'coldness' of
space.	(Depending on how close you are to the sun and a host of
other factors.)

Sensor range may not be as short as it sounds, if we think that the
MT sensors are meant to generate solutions good enough to shoot
something.  It's (usually) much easier to build a sensor that can
detect something to within several thousand km, then within one.

Of course, this all gets caught up in FT physics; what makes the
ships move, what are they using to sense things with, etc. etc. etc.,
and I don't want to start THAT discussion again.  (8-)

J.

--
     *** Jerry Han - jhan@icom.ca - http://people.canoe.ca/jhan ***
"There once was pretty good nation, Pretty proud of the greatness it

Prev: Re: I'm Back