Prev: Re: [FT] Sensor range question Next: Re: [FT] Sensor Range Question

Re: [FT] Sensor Range Question

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 09:47:09 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT] Sensor Range Question

G'day guys,

>Dealing with space sensors can be tricky. First is where are you using
your
>sensors? Deep space use will give you a better range than in-system
use.

In answer to the question its in system. Derek had done up some sensor
rules for the a campaign we're heading into and then someone said you'd
be
able to see ships coming for ages and that stumped him as all the
material
he was working off kept giving him fairly minute ranges in comparison to
system size (e.g Basic sensor's extreme range is 150" passive, 600"
active
and.ESM 720" - double that for enhanced and double the enhanced ranges
for
superior).

As to the scale we're using. 1" = 1000km and 1 turn = 15mins.

I know that was a fat lot of good with regard to advancing the actual
debate, but I thought it might help to put the original question in
perspective.

Just one more thing (which is purely out of my own curiosity) if sensor
ranges are so small that you'd only see a fleet coming if it was as
close
as the moon etc, how do the fleet find each other to fight? Just wander
around until they fall over something? And I'm not trying to take the
mick
here (well not completely), I am seriously curious.

Thanks

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax (03) 6232 5199 International +61 3 6232 5199

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: [FT] Sensor range question Next: Re: [FT] Sensor Range Question