Prev: Re: [FT] Sensor range question Next: Re: [FT] Sensor range question

Re: [FT] Sensor range question

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 23:53:02 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Sensor range question

>Sensor range may not be as short as it sounds, if we think that the
>MT sensors are meant to generate solutions good enough to shoot
>something.  It's (usually) much easier to build a sensor that can
>detect something to within several thousand km, then within one.

Apropos which, has anyone thought of using extra thrust to "evade"?

Let's say you're on Vector movement and you have a Thrust 6 ship.  You
get
three thruster points.	You can use those for a sideways burn if you're
trying to duck away from missiles, but that doesn't help against beam
weapons.  Surely, however, a more maneuverable ship should be better
able
than a lumbering hulk to jink around and dodge beams.  Therefore, I
propose
that one thruster point may be applied to increase the effective range
for
energy beam (and similar weapons, PTs, needles, etc) by 3".  Missiles
aren't
affected by this, and neither are area effect weapons such as wave guns.

This isn't totally satisfactory, because the effect would be less
important
at close range than at long range.  Maybe instead of +3", make it +10%
of
actual range?  Suggestions?

Prev: Re: [FT] Sensor range question Next: Re: [FT] Sensor range question