Prev: Re: [CB] Player slots filled Next: RE: A Kids game...

Re: [FH] Alarishi

From: "Andrew Evans" <J_Andrew_Evans@b...>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 18:25:35 +0100
Subject: Re: [FH] Alarishi

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@university-college.oxford.ac.uk>
To: GZG List <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: 22 April 1999 16:14

>On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Laserlight wrote:
>
>> Help!  I need to name the three Alarishi star systems.
>
>hmm. how to name stars. well, what sort of names do stars have now?
Elvis,
>Marilyn, Buster.
>
>seriously. the Alarishi are sufficiently diverged from the rest of
>humanity that they might seriously consider names like that. especially
>Elvis.

Seriously though, for a minute, I find that is a perfectly good way of
thinking of names.  Take your normal English word (or any other language
actually) like "Elvis" and start changing vowels:

Alvas
Olves
Ulvys

If none of those grab you, take your favourite and starting fiddling
with
consanants:

Ulvys
Ulvyz
Ubvyz

Names come quite quickly and the starting point of a real word often
means
they have the feel of the real word.

A#