Prev: Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25 Next: RE: [SG2]: GSM/P Question

Re: OT: "Aluminum" Paint Jobs.

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 23:01:17 -0500
Subject: Re: OT: "Aluminum" Paint Jobs.

Howdy folks!

I've been away from the computer for a couple of days, and jumped into
this
thread late (since you've already painted the models), but to add my
$0.02
'cause somebody might be doing this again sometime...

1.  For "dark metal" type colouring, try painting your model a deep dark
blue colour and drybrushing the silvery metallic colours up from that.
The
blue gives it a more "aged metal" look when you see it in the cracks,
etc,
than if you use black as the undercoat.
2.  The best Aluminum I've seen was done by a group of Aircraft
modellers.
I had a good chat with one of the guys at the Canadian International
Hobby
Show here in Toronto a year or two ago.  They found that after giving
the
model a suitable basecoat (you could try black or white - I think they
used
white), you spray it with a laquer "topcoat".  When the topcoat is
almost
dry (a *little* bit tacky), you rub the model over with fine aluminum
powder, available through serious hobby stores. Once you've done the
model
with aluminum powder and let it set for a day, you can paint in the
details.

This isn't the simplest method to use, and you can imagine the aluminum
powder being a pain to store, etc, but their planes looked like they
were
milled out of aluminum.  Like I said, this was *the* best aluminum
finish
on a model I've ever seen.

Adrian

>Hello:
>
>	Here's a status report (For everyone's info, the minis in
question are
>Ral Partha Crimson Skies figs):
>
>	I primed the minis black and gave the fighters a base coat of
Citidal

http://www.uwm.edu/~cthulhu