Prev: Re: [OT] BFG Questions ? -Reply Next: [FH] Canonization

Re: Other Solar Sys maps Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 00:20:07 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Other Solar Sys maps Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Nyrath the nearly wise wrote:

> devans@uneb.edu wrote:
>
> > I don't
> > think there's a good way to do 3-d, but I do salute noble
> > folk that have tried.
>
>	My weirdest 3-D system used red-blue anaglyph
>	glasses, and weird playing counters.
>	The counters had an image of the ship in red, and
>	were encased in a transparent cellophane sleeve
>	with the image in blue.  You would slide the
>	counter in the sleeve to adjust the ship's
>	apparent level.

now THAT is what i call impressive!

>	No, it didn't work very well.

who cares? it's really cool! hmm. perhaps holograms might do it? each
counter would come in several "heights", with the hologram taken with
different offsets, so when viewed, they look like the same ship floating
at different altitudes. then you'd just swap the counters in and out.
this
isn't any more convenient than counters with height markings, but it's
probably easier to visualise.

of course, you'd need the ability to make holograms, which is easier
said
than done. in principle, all you need is a laser (one of those laser
pointers would do), some photographic film (the ordinary sort is fine,
except that the resolution is about 30 times too poor), a few lenses and
beam-splitter. or another, identical laser. but now i'm blathering.

Tom

Prev: Re: [OT] BFG Questions ? -Reply Next: [FH] Canonization