Prev: Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25 Next: Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25 (LONG)

Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 07:11:49 -0500
Subject: Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25

Donald Hosford wrote:

> Nyrath the nearly wise wrote:
> >	    In the game Dark Stars, they have a solar system display
with a
> >	    logarithmic scale.	The hexes in one "ring" of hexagons are
> >	    assumed to represent a larger area than the hexes of inner
rings.
> >	    That is, if the hexes in ring 5 are one billion miles per
hex,
> >	    the next ring had hexes something like 1.5 billion miles per
hex.
> Ah, an abstraction...How big was the map?
>
> I don't think I have ever heard of DS....Is it a new game, or an old
out of print one?

	The solar system map took up a bit less than one quarter of
	the map sheet, the main map was the interstellar starmap.

	It is a very out of print game, published in 1980.
	DARK STARS by Simulations Canada.  Designed by
	Stephen M. Newberg.

	It was a reasonably scientifically accurate game.
	With one exception all the interstellar propulsion methods
	were slower than light: Bussard Ramjets, matter/antimatter,
	and ram augmented rockets.  Stars were colonized by
	"seedships", i.e., a small ship containing computer controlled
	robots and lots of frozen fertilized ova.  See Arthur C.
Clarke's
	THE SONG OF DISTANT EARTH for details.

Prev: Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25 Next: Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25 (LONG)